This moist and lightly sweetened quick loaf is fun to wrap up in pretty
packaging – perfect as a hostess gift or to bring to a teacher or
neighbour. The hardest part is deciding which variation to make,
apple, pear or carrot, full-size or mini?
Baking Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking soda and salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 Ontario Egg, beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Ontario Apples (unpeeled)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each all-purpose flour, large-flaked rolled oats, packed brown sugar
- and chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
Crumble-Top: In small bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, walnuts, butter and cinnamon;
In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt
and nutmeg. Make well in centre; add egg, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Sprinkle with
apples and walnuts; stir just until combined.
Spread into parchment paper-lined or buttered 9- x 5-inch (23 x 12 cm) metal loaf pan,
smoothing top. Sprinkle with crumble-top. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 to 50
minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 15
minutes. Turn out onto rack to cool completely.
Pear-Pecan: Substitute pecans for walnuts. In loaf, reduce cinnamon to 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
and add 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground ginger. Switch apples with Ontario Pears.
Carrot-Walnut: Substitute 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Ontario Carrots for apples.
Mini-Loaves: Use three approximately 5- x 3-inch (12 x 8 cm) loaf pans and bake 20 to 25
Tips: Wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or, place into
freezer-safe bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrients per serving1 Serving:
Protein: 5 grams
Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrate: 36 grams
Fibre: 1.5 grams
Sodium: 295 mg