Great time to get all little hands on deck. Take advantage of all things in season. With “Snacks 101” There is something for everyone.
1.“An Apple a Day”- A fresh Ontario Apple, or other seasonal fruit, is a delicious, healthy snack any time.
2.Quick Blueberry Pancakes: Add fresh Ontario Blueberries to prepared pancake mix.
3. Jiggly Fruit Salad: Add delicious Ontario Berries or other diced fruit to your favourite flavour of gelatin.
4. Melonade In blender jar combine equal parts cold lemonade and chunks of peeled Ontario Muskmelon. Process until smooth.
5. Cereal Plus Add sliced fresh Ontario Peaches, Nectarines or Plums to your morning cereal…yumm.
6. Mr. Potato Head Top steaming hot baked Ontario Potatoes with homemade salsa, broccoli and cheese or sour cream and chopped green onions.
7.Portobello Burger: Brush Ontario Portobello Mushroom cap with oil and sauté or grill until tender. Place in bun with Ontario Tomato, Onion and Lettuce.
8. Instant Corn Chowder: Add fresh Ontario Corn kernels to canned cream of potato soup. Simmer 4 – 5 minutes.
9. Stuffed Tomato Combine cooked Ontario Corn kernels with diced Ontario tomato, Sweet Green Pepper, Green Onion and minced fresh parsley. Add a splash of vinaigrette dressing; fill seeded Ontario Tomato halves.
10. Nutty Apples: Core Ontario Apple halves and fill centres with peanut butter or Ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
11. Potato Skins: Cut Ontario Baked Potato skins into strips, drizzle with olive oil and salt; bake in a hot oven until crisp.
12.Pumpkin Seeds: Bake Ontario Pumpkin seeds in the oven until toasted and lightly browned, salt to taste…enjoy!
13. Icy Grapes Wash single serving bunches of Ontario Grapes. Place in freezer bags and freeze for a cooling, low-cal snack anytime.
14. ”Ants on a Log” : Fill cavity of Ontario Celery stick with peanut butter or cheese. Dot with raisins or chocolate chips.
15. Sweet Maple Peach Treat: Brush Ontario Peach halves with Maple Syrup; grill or broil until hot.
16. Snack Anytime Keep Ontario Carrot and Celery sticks, Broccoli and Cauliflower handy in your fridge for quick low-cal snacking.
17. Peachsicles: Purée 4 peeled, pitted and sliced Ontario Peaches with 1/3 cup (75 mL) sugar and dash of lemon juice. Freeze in popsicle containers.
18. Chocolaty Fruit Fondue: Dip your favourite Ontario Berries and other seasonal fruit into warm, melted chocolate – decadent!
19.Sweet Potato Chips: Cut thin slices of Ontario Sweet Potatoes with a vegetable peeler and deep-fry until crisp and golden brown.
20. Simply Caesar Drizzle store-bought Caesar dressing over torn Ontario Romaine lettuce; add generous amounts of grated Parmesan cheese and flavoured croutons.
21. Mac’n Cheese Plus: Add some cooked Ontario Broccoli to a package of macaroni and cheese for added flavour and nutrition.
22. Veggie Fried Rice: Sauté cooked rice with diced Ontario Onion, Carrot, Sweet Pepper and Zucchini. Season with soy sauce.
23. Watermelon Mania: Add chunks of seeded Ontario Watermelon to milk and vanilla ice cream in a blender. Process until smooth.
24.Berry Peanutty :Spread peanut butter on slices of bread; top with seasonal Sandwich Ontario Berries. Mash lightly with a fork – Berry Good!
25.Yogurt “Fool” : Stir chopped Ontario seasonal fruit into plain yogurt; add Ontario Liquid Honey to taste, sprinkle with chopped nuts.
26. Wrapped Melon: Wrap prosciutto around wedges of juicy Ontario Muskmelon for a refreshing appetizer or snack.
27. Soup’s On! Add shredded Ontario Carrot and finely chopped Broccoli and Zucchini to chicken noodle soup; simmer for a few minutes until vegetables are tender.
28. Bagels n’ More Top bagel halves with cream cheese and thinly sliced Ontario Apples, Pears, Peaches or Greenhouse Cucumbers.
29. Cucumber Rounds: Top thick slices of Ontario Cucumber with tuna salad.
30. Fruit Smoothie: For a snack in a glass, whirl Ontario Peaches or Berries with yogurt and Ontario Honey in a blender.
31. Cottage Cheese Delight: Cover cottage cheese with slices of fresh Ontario Fruit and Berries for a high protein, low cal snack or lunch.
32. Baked Apples: Mmm…Ontario Apples, hot from the oven, drizzled with Ontario Maple Syrup.
33. Buried Treasure Pudding: Stir fresh Ontario Berries – Blueberries, Raspberries or Strawberries into your favourite dessert pudding.
34. Mushrooms on Toast Sauté Ontario Mushrooms with a little chopped bacon, season to taste. Serve on toast for breakfast or an any-time snack.
35. Fruit on the Run: Spoon fresh sliced and diced Ontario seasonal fruit into a waffle cone for easy dessert on the run.
36. Quesadilla Fest: Cover flour tortilla with shredded cheese. Top with Ontario Tomato, Onion, Broccoli and Sweet Pepper. Microwave until cheese begins to melt – roll up.
37. Stewed: Add sliced Ontario Carrots, Onions, Potatoes, Rutabagas and Parsnips to your next beef or lamb stew.
38. Plum Stewed: Small chunks of Ontario Plums are great in stews;mix them in at the end and cook just enough to soften.
39. Speedy Slaw: Toss shredded Ontario Cabbage with Ranch-style dressing to moisten; season to taste.
40. Veggied Pasta Salad: Add fresh Ontario Spinach leaves and chopped Green Onion, Cucumber and Red Pepper to purchased pasta salad.
41. Kabob It! Thread Ontario Muskmelon and Watermelon balls, Berries and Peach slices on wooden skewers. Eat “as is” or serve with yogurt for dipping.
42. Crescent Surprise: Using purchased crescent roll dough, add a slice of Cheddarcheese and your favourite Ontario Veggie – Sweet Green Pepper or Carrot sticks, sliced Onion or Mushrooms. Roll up and bake as per directions on package.
43. Bruschetta Basics: Combine diced Ontario Tomato and Green Onion with minced Garlic and fresh parsley or basil, a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Use to top toasted slices of French bread.
44. Berrisicles: Purée 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Raspberries with 1/3 cup (75 mL) sugar and a dash of lemon juice. Freeze in popsicle container.
45. Strawberries and Cream: Couldn’t be simpler or more scrumptious…fresh Ontario Strawberries and cream.
46.Squash Bowl : Scoop out cooked Ontario Squash from shell and use the shell as a serving bowl for squash soup or dip.
47. Anytime Breakfast: Top your favourite pancakes with Ontario juicy fresh fruit like Blueberries, Raspberries, Peach and Nectarine slices. Pour on the Ontario Maple Syrup!
48. Fruit Dippers: Slice fresh Ontario Fruit – Apples, Peaches, Pears – and dip into your favourite flavour of yogurt.
49. Fruity Ice Cream Soda: Purée Ontario Raspberries or Peaches. Spoon over ice cream or sherbet in a tall glass; add soda water or seltzer to taste.
50. Fritters: Add Ontario Apple slices to your fritter batter.
51.Tomato Sandwich: Thinly sliced Ontario Tomatoes on toast seasoned with salt and pepper…simply delicious!
52. Baked Garlic: Cut off top third from head of Ontario Garlic to expose cloves. Bake in 325°F (160°C) oven until soft. To serve, squeeze pulp from cloves and spread on fresh French bread.
53. Pears ‘n Cheese: Blue, brie and camembert cheeses with fresh Ontario Pear wedges and crackers make quick, elegant hors d’oeuvres.
54: Quickie Corn: Microwave individual plastic wrapped Ontario Corn on the Cob for approximately 4 minutes for a quick snack.
55. Sundae Best: Purée Ontario Peaches, Apricots or Strawberries and serve over your favourite flavour of ice cream.
56. Fruit Fiesta: Make your own fresh fruit salad using seasonal Ontario Fruit.
57. Salad Time: Make a fresh salad using Ontario Salad Vegetables – Lettuce, Spinach, Tomatoes, Onions, Mushrooms…the choice is endless.
58. Snack Sticks: Serve raw Ontario Carrot, Celery and Rutabaga sticks with blue cheese dressing.
59. Peaches n’ Greens: Add seasonal Ontario fruit to your salad greens. Team up Peach and Muskmelon cubes, Raspberries, Blueberries or diced Pears with torn Spinach leaves or baby Lettuces. Toss with fruit based salad dressing and nuts.
60. Cherry Muffins: Add Ontario Sour Cherries to your muffin mix … marvelous!
61. Rice is Nice: Top rice cakes with sweetened cream cheese and thin slices of Ontario Muskmelon, Peach, Apple or Pear. Add a dash of cinnamon if you like.
62. Sprout It! Add Ontario Bean or Alfalfa Sprouts to any sandwich to add crunch!
63. Jammy: Use fresh Ontario Berries to make your own delicious jam.
64. Beef It Up! Sauté beef stir-fry strips with sliced Ontario Mushrooms and Onions until onions are soft and beef well browned. Stir in steak sauce to taste.
65. Cool as a Cucumber: Nothing is as cool and refreshing as lightly buttered fresh bread layered with thinly sliced Ontario Greenhouse Cucumbers.
66. Fruity Shortcake: Stir a handful of fresh Ontario Blueberries into a variety bakingmix when making a batch of shortcake biscuits. Fill split baked biscuits with sweetened whipped cream, Ontario Raspberries, Blueberries and Peach slices.
67. Grill It! Large slices of grilled Ontario Eggplant and Zucchini are great served with any barbecued meat.
68. Ice Cream Treat: What can be easier and more delicious than scoops of ice cream smothered in slices of juicy, seasonal Ontario Fruit.
69: Onion Rings: Slice Ontario Onions 1/4-inch thick and separate into rings, dip into a mixture of club soda and flour. Deep fry, drain on paper towel, and season to taste.
70. Velvety Mashed: Whip cream cheese into boiled Ontario Potatoes as you Potatoes are mashing them – smashing!
71. Very Veggie Nacho: Top nacho chips with cheese and diced Ontario Onion, Sweet Peppers, Tomatoes and Mushrooms. Microwave to melt cheese.
72. Caramel Apples: Insert a wooden skewer into the stem end of Ontario Apples. Melt store-bought caramels and quickly dip in apples one at a time. Refrigerate to set.
73. Scrambled Veggies: Add your favourite diced Ontario Vegetables – Onions, Green or Red Peppers, Mushrooms, Broccoli – to your scrambled egg mixture for added flavour and fibre.
74. Pear Up: Brown sliced Ontario Pears in butter and cinnamon; place on toasted waffles. Drizzle with Ontario Maple Syrup.
75. Pucker Up! Dip cleaned stalk of Ontario Rhubarb into sugar or Ontario Honey – enjoy the tang and crunch!
76. Raspberry Milk Shake: Combine Ontario Raspberries with milk, vanilla ice cream and Ontario Honey in a blender. Whip until creamy.
77. Marinated Veggies: Marinate a selection of blanched Ontario Vegetables – Carrot coins, Broccoli and Cauliflower florets – in store-bought Italian salad dressing.
78. Stir-Fry: Use marinated Ontario Vegetables in a stir-fry.
79. Veggie Bites: Toss cut-up seasonal Ontario Vegetables with mayonnaise and then with seasoned bread crumbs. Bake until crisp.
80. Corn-ucopia: Serve herb butter to spread over hot Ontario Corn on the cob.
81.French Fried: Peel and cut Ontario Potatoes, Rutabagas and Parsnips into Sticks (or use precut Rutabaga sticks). Toss with some oil and potato dry seasoning mix. Bake on foil lined baking sheet in 450°F (230°C) oven until browned and cooked through.
82. Watermelon Basket: Cut Ontario Watermelon in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller, scoop out flesh of melon an fill cavity with fresh seasonal fruit including melon balls.
83. Raspberry Snow: Purée Ontario Raspberries and sweeten generously with corn syrup. Pour over crushed ice.
84. Marinated Mushrooms: Marinate small, whole Ontario Mushrooms in seasoned oil and vinegar dressing. Serve as snacks or appetizers.
85. Pizza Feast: Dice and slice a variety of Ontario Sweet Green or Red Peppers, Mushrooms, Broccoli, Onions and Tomatoes and toss on a store-bought pizza crust, add cheese and bake.
86. Grill Mate: Skewer some seasonal Ontario Vegetables – Mushrooms, Onions, Peppers – brush with oil, grill and serve with barbecued meal.
87. Cheese Dreams: Top crackers with Ontario Tomato and Onion, cheese and bacon bits. Heat until cheese melts.
88. Cinful Peaches: Peel and quarter an Ontario Peach; sprinkle with cinnamon and microwave for 30 seconds. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
89. Couscous Crunch: Sauté a medley of seasonal Ontario vegetables – Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower, Parsnips… until tender and serve on a bed of couscous.
90. Tip of the Iceberg: To basic cream soup mixture, add shredded Ontario Iceberg Lettuce during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
91. Cherry Tomatoes Get Topped: Place halved Ontario Cherry Tomatoes in shallow ovenproof dish and top with mixture of romano-cheese flavoured bread crumbs, minced Ontario Garlic, olive oil and pepper. Bake until browned.
92. Deli Salad Plus: Spruce up deli salads by adding seasonal Ontario vegetables.
93. Apricot Crepes: Spread Ricotta cheese and apricot jam on warm crepes. Top generously with juicy, chopped Ontario Apricots. Roll up.
94. Pepper & Chevre: Spread Ontario Chevre on crackers. Top with hot pepper jelly Snack and thin strips of Ontario Red or Yellow Pepper.
95. Dressed Up Dessert: Even the simplest dessert becomes special with a few fresh Ontario Raspberries or Blueberries used as garnish.
96.Cranberry Zip: Make your own cranberry sauce to add zip to turkey, chicken, or pork any time of the year.
97. Chocolate Covered: Dip luscious Ontario Berries by their stems, one by one into melted chocolate, place on wax paper lined cookie sheet, refrigerate until set. Enjoy!
98. Watermelon Salad: Ontario Watermelon slices sprinkled with mild rice vinegar make a delightful salad.
99. Apple-Cinnamon Crunch: Serve crisp Ontario Apple slices on warm cinnamon toast. Drizzle with Ontario Maple Syrup.
100. Pepper Wedges Olé Combine softened cream cheese with some drained salsa
sauce to taste. Use to fill wedges of Ontario Sweet Green or Red Pepper.
101. Watermelon Freeze Cut thick Ontario Watermelon slices into triangle shapes and
place onto popsicle sticks. Cover and freeze until firm for a chilling snack experience!