* Originally Published in Ottawa Parenting Times
Fourth annual Great Canadian Lemonade Standemonium aims to raise money and awareness for cancer care in Ottawa
Hosting a lemonade stand is one of the most popular summer fun activities for kids.
And on Saturday, June 4, the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation is sparking a lemonade stand movement and hosting the third annual Great Canadian Lemonade Standemonium, presented by Cardel Homes
It’s a fun-filled, one-day fundraiser where kids host stands in their neighbourhood, while raising funds and awareness for cancer care in the Ottawa community.
In three years, kids across the region have joined in the fun hosting lemonade stands on or before June 4th – and they have raised more than $190,000 for the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation. 100% of those funds went directly to local cancer research and helping families through Cancer Coaching.
This year, funds raised will help provide cancer coaching to families in our community. Cancer coaching focuses on the person – and helps with their physical, informational, emotional and spiritual needs – to help them meet the challenges of cancer and improve their overall quality of life.
How can YOU get involved? Registering for the Great Canadian Lemonade Stand is easy!
- Join the Lemonade Brigade movement and make a STAND against cancer.
- Register your stand at www.ottawacancer.ca/lemonade.
- Recruit your family or friends to join your stand – the more the merrier! Everyone who registers online will be eligible to win great prizes.
- Plan out where you would like to host your stand. At a nearby store, at the end of your driveway, at a playground – there are loads of choices. But be sure to ask your parents for help in determining where to host your stand, and get permission from your chosen location.
- Get your mom and dad involved and send an email to let family and friends know where your stand will be hosted, and a link to donate to your virtual stand. All this can be done through your online stand page.
- Get family and friends involved and design and build your own custom stand.
- Plan out your stand campaign. Decide when you will be hosting your stand – you can host a stand more than once leading up to June 6, and then on Lemonade Stand Day. Also, be sure to decide what you would like to serve at your stand. There are great recipes at www.ottawacancer. ca/lemonade.
- Host your stand on or before Saturday, June 6.
- Drop off the funds raised at the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation (1500 Alta Vista Dr.) on Sunday, June 7 between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Celebrate all of your successes and the work you have done to help local families who are facing cancer.
For more information about the Great Canadian Lemonade Standemonium, contact the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation at 613-247-3527.
Quick tips for building a lemonade stand
- Paint and decorate with bright colours.
- Consider using chalkboard or paint to make an instant sign on the stand.
- Attach pinwheels, streamers, balloons or other moving decorations to draw attention.
- Display a basket of colourful lemons on your table to get attention.
- Make great signs. Use large letters, arrows and eyecatching colours.
- Put out a bowl of water for dogs.
- Play music and get your groove on. Dance, dance, dance!
- Offer baked goods.
- Bring out your pom-poms and shout out a lemonade cheer.