Easter is on the way! It’s a perfect time to start new family traditions and get your kids busy in the kitchen. Cooking together is a great way to keep the fun going after an energetic egg hunt. Brunch is one of the easiest meals to prepare with the help of the kids. Think fluffy pancakes, crispy French toast, and savory scrambled eggs.
You can find many brunch recipes using Ontario eggs at www.getcracking.ca. In the lead-up to Easter morning, have your kids visit the site and plan the menu. French toast is always an easy option for younger children. What could be easier than dipping bread in an egg?
Pancakes are also a hit at our house, especially when there is fresh maple syrup. I love this Buttermilk Pancake Recipe https://www.getcracking.ca/recipes/fluffy-buttermilk-pancakes The ingredients are simple and if your pantry and fridge are stocked with the basics, you’ll have no trouble whipping up pancakes with your little kitchen helpers.
Making bunny pancakes will add some extra excitement to your Brunch. See the instructions below.
- Butter the pan right before you are ready to cook the pancakes.
- Spoon 1/8 cup of the batter onto the pan to form the head.
- Spoon more batter into two ear shapes.
- Add a little more batter to create the largest circle, which will be for the body.
- Create two smaller circles for the feet.
- Keep the finished pancakes warm in the oven (200 F) while you are making the remainder of the pancakes.
- On a large plate, begin assembling the bunny. You will need one plate for each bunny.
- Start by placing the two ears towards the top of the plate.
- Layer the medium circle on the bottom edges of the ears. Then layer the large circle on the edge of the head. Then add the two smallest circles on the bottom edges to create the feet.
- Place a round of banana on each foot and place three chocolate chips under each banana to create the foot pads.
- Place half of the marshmallow on the lower half of the body.
- Place some of the shredded coconut on the marshmallow and between the bunny ears.
- Serve with butter, syrup, or other toppings!