1.Build your Back to School Toolbox:
All the tools we need to complete homework are in the box: pens, pencils, calculators, computer. We used the school supply list provided from our school to make sure we filled our boxes with everything we would need for our work space.
If you kids like to find another spot to do homework, their toolbox can go with them.
2.Create a Workspace:
Have them make it personalized
- Add a few of their favourite things. Some kids like fidget toys near by.
- Use an exercise ball as their char.
- Use a chalkboard or wipe board as a different writing tool.
- Add some pictures, art or a plant.
3.Visual Aids are great for Your Children and their Workspace
For the youngest grades:
- alphabet letters
- recognition words that they are learning
For the older grades
- multiplication chart
- math formulas
- grammar rules
…just as a few suggestions
4.Different Workspaces for Different Subjects:
ART ROOM: A big table with a splash cover over it, allowing budding artists to feel free in their space.
SCIENCE ROOM: We chose the kitchen. The best place to clean up quick science experiments/ explosions. It is also a great way to get kids in the kitchen helping and making meals. Great life skills.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION: The great outdoors. With the weather warming up, you can spend a lot of time outdoors! If you choose to stay indoors, we have ideas posted.
Reading Corner: A nice reading corner anywhere that speaks to your reader. A bean bag chair or just a lot of pillows. A blanket and good lighting.
5.Make a Schedule That Works For Your Learner:
- If you have multiple learners in your home, you will most likely want to be on the same schedule.
- Most of us are already working from home, so important that you factor that into your schedule. They will need your help from time to time and it is fun to be part of the learning.
- Each learner can create their schedule. What subject when.
- There are many schedule templates out there. Choose one that works for your family.
- You might not get it right the first time, but try try again. We will be!